The Faculty of Public Health Building, Hue University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Hue University.
06 Ngo Quyen street, Vinh Ninh ward, Hue city, Thua Thien Hue province, Vietnam.
The current Faculty of Public Health originated with the amalgamation of two departments known originally as the Department of Hygiene and Epidemiology and the Department of Health Organization. Both these departments were established in 1976 by the Ministry of Health. They began to provide education in preventative medicine and health organization to medical students in 1977. Further changes followed when in 1980, the Department of Health Organization changed its name to the Department of Social Medicine. By March 2005, the Faculty of Public Health was officially founded by merging the two departments. The faculty was directly administered by the Hue Medical College (now named the Hue University of Medicine and Pharmacy).
1.2. Vision, Mission and Strategy
Vision: To improve the health of the people living in the Central and Highland regions, throughout Vietnam and Southeast Asia with strategies to improve the quality of training, scientific research and the provision of community health care services.
Mission: To be the leading faculty in the Central and Highland Region in public health training, implementing priority research and providing and consulting with community-based health care services.
Strategy: To strengthen and expand effective cooperation in training, consulting and scientific research with both domestic and international partners. To also provide community health care services in line with the social needs of Vietnam.
2. FACULTY ORGANIZATION
MD, MPH, PhD
MD, MPH, PhD
The Faculty has 3 Departments, including:
- Department of Epidemiology – Biostatistics & Demography
- Department of Health Education & Health Psychology – Health management
- Department of Nutrition – Environmental and Occupational Health
The Faculty has 37 full-time staff, including 17 male (46%) and 20 female (54%) staff, including 34 lecturers. All staff have university degrees or higher, including four associate professors, seven PhDs, 15 masters, seven medical doctors and four with bachelor degrees. One faculty member was awarded the title of honorary professor of Queensland University of Technology, Australia.
3. EDUCATION AND TRAINING
3.1. Undergraduate training programs
The Faculty of Public Health provides undergraduate training programs which include:
- Bachelor of Public Health with a regular (full-time) program and a transitional program (available since 2005).
- Doctor of Preventive Medicine with a regular (full-time) program and a transitional program (available since 2007).
There are also teaching courses related to the following majors: health management and organization; health education and health psychology; biostatistics, demography, and reproductive health; epidemiology; environmental and occupational health; nutrition and food safety.
The Faculty also provides field trips featuring training in Hue City and several districts in Thua Thien Hue province. These provide guidance to students who can then conduct suitable studies/theses based on their interests or study majors.
The Faculty has published 29 books and textbooks for undergraduate and graduate training programs from the Medical Publishing House and Hue University Publishing House.
3.2. Graduate training programs
The Faculty has constantly promoted postgraduate training of high quality and quantity to meet the needs of medical human resource departments, especially in the Central and Highlands Region.
Graduate training programs include:
- Master of Public Health;
- Master of Hospital Management;
- Specialist level I in Public Health, Preventive Medicine;
- Special level II in Health Management; and
- Doctor of Philosophy in Public Health.
In addition to training at the Hue University of Medicine and Pharmacy, the faculty has also provided post-graduate training courses in other provinces, including Thanh Hoa, Ha Tinh, Quang Binh, Quang Tri, Quang Nam, Quang Ngai, Binh Dinh, Dak Lak, Phu Yen, Binh Thuan, Long An, Ben Tre, Tra Vinh, Da Nang, and Ho Chi Minh City.
3.3. Other types of training
The faculty has provided:
- a number of subjects on various public health disciplines such as: biostatistics, advanced information technology and scientific research for other graduate medical-related majors (general doctors, general nurses, bachelor of medical techniques, bachelor of medical imaging techniques…)
- hospital management accreditation for hospitals and Departments of Health in the Central region.
- continuing medical education training courses on public health for public health staff in wards and districts in the Central and Highland regions.
- teaching on a number of topics to international postgraduate students.
4. RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
The main faculty’s research orientation is mainly related to its various specialties, such as: organization and health management; health education and health psychology; demography; reproductive health; environmental - occupational health; nutrition and food safety.
Over the years, the Faculty of Public Health has published 462 articles in scientific journals. Of these, 40 research papers were published in international scientific journals and 422 articles in domestic scientific journals.
The Faculty of Public Health has carried out 13 studies at ministry level, three studies at national level; 10 studies at provincial level; four studies at Hue University level and 112 studies at Hue University of Medicine and Pharmacy level.
5. INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION
The Faculty of Public Health has built and developed sustainable relationships with partners in many countries around the world based on scientific research and training. The partners are leading institutes and universities from Australia, The United States, Netherlands, Thailand, the United Kingdom, Japan, Germany, France, Belgium and Italy.
The faculty has participated in the founding, development and leadership of the Greater Mekong Sub-region of Public Health Networks. The faculty liaises with 16 faculties of Public Health from six countries in the region, including Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and China.
It organized the 2nd and 7th International Conference on Public Health among the Greater Mekong Sub-region Countries in 2010 and 2015, in Hue city.
It has been an official member of the Asian Health Literacy Association since 2014.
It is a member of the Editorial Board of a number of prestigious domestic and international journals.
In 2019, it collaborated with the Asia Pacific World Health Organization to provide a workshop in Hue on Communications for Behavioral Changes to Promote Health.
The Faculty provides counseling and training for capacity-building to staff from health facilities in the Central region, NGOs in Vietnam such as MCNV, Save the Children, Plan International, USAID and international organizations such as WHO, UNICEF and CDC.
Faculty of Public Health
- Hue Science Festival International PhD Students’ Symposium Program Outline for April 27th 2018
- Hue Science Festival: International PhD Students’ Symposium Call for Abstracts
- Workshop on Infection Diagnosis: Call for Applications
- Celebration program of 60th YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF UNIVERSITY FOUNDATION
- The Partnership for Health Advancement in Vietnam (HAIVN) Project Officer
- Extend the deadline for bids submission on Italian ODA project
- Inivitation for tender of providing equipment for the project "Training Against Medical Errors"
- Request for proposal of Consultancy services for Architectural planning, design and supervision and for training activities at Hue University of Medicine and Pharmacy